SOLAR & STECA PR2020

Submitted: Wednesday, Dec 26, 2007 at 20:16
ThreadID: 52876 Views:3443 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
HI Everyone,
Finally this XMAS putting a Solar System into the camper for our longer stays away. Have purchased 2x 80W Solar Panels and a little extra battery power etc. (360ah of Gel Batteries)

Anyhow the question is for anyone, If you have a STECA PR2020 is there any setting/config changes that anyone recommends? I am not using the Load feature as i have a XANTREX battery monitor/controller so it does all the stuff. But there are some config options in the Solar Regulator that maybe i need to change?

It seems to work very well without any changes (had it putting 8.9ah into the battery just out of the box?)

Cheers
Justin
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mainey (wa) - Thursday, Dec 27, 2007 at 05:21

Thursday, Dec 27, 2007 at 05:21
Justin,
Welcome to the fantastic world of Solar power !!

Just change the battery setting to 'GEL' if it's not already done, that's the only setting you will need to change, as the gel will then charge at a higher 14.1 Volts where the wetcel battery spec is only 13.9 Volt.

The LCD which shows the accurate state of charge (SOC) in percent and as battery gauge symbol, but only works via the Solar panel voltage input - NOT registering any voltage input from the Alternator, so only use it when camped for long periods, or it will cut the fridge off when you don't expect it to.

Features
• PWM shunt battery charging
• state of charge (SOC) battery regulation
• built in Amp Hour counter
• FLOAT charging
• BOOST charging
• EQUALISING charge
• automatic load disconnect and reconnection
• manual load connect and disconnect switch
• temperature compensation
• positive grounding (or) negative grounding on one terminal
• field adjustable parameters by the two red buttons

The Steca will only charge the battery when the battery NEEDS charging, obviously the battery was low SoC (not volts) for the Steca to put 8.9 Amps into it from a total available of ~9.9 Amps maximum.
You will now understand the pics and statements on my rig page.

Mainey...
AnswerID: 278562

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Kath - Thursday, Dec 27, 2007 at 07:56

Thursday, Dec 27, 2007 at 07:56
Mainey, think it is in Gel when you buy it. My 2020 says so in the manual anyway, should probably have checked that. I like what is built into it, but it duplicates what comes in the standard system on the Karavan to some extent. I need another 80w panel now as I only hvae one to learn on.
FollowupID: 542589

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Thursday, Dec 27, 2007 at 09:49

Thursday, Dec 27, 2007 at 09:49
I suggest you check the factory default settings as mine was not set in the default despite what the book stated

cheers
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 278584

Follow Up By: Mainey (wa) - Friday, Dec 28, 2007 at 10:52

Friday, Dec 28, 2007 at 10:52
Yes, that's fairly common, hence my change the battery setting to Gel, if it's not already done.

The Gel battery will love the extra voltage delivered to it.

Mainey...
FollowupID: 542767

Follow Up By: Axel [ the real one ] - Friday, Dec 28, 2007 at 11:33

Friday, Dec 28, 2007 at 11:33
Ditto ,,mine out of the box was set to liq rather than gel even though the book states gel is the factory setting.
FollowupID: 542770

Sponsored Links